Friday, March 6, 2009

Ron: Defenders don't hurt me!


Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted that defenders do not have the ill intention to injure him on purpose.

Steven Taylor's challenge on the Portugal international before half-time sparked an altercation in the tunnel during the break. The Red Devils clinched a 2-1 win over Newcastle eventually, which restored their seven-point advantage over Chelsea and Liverpool.

But the tackle on Ronaldo has created a debate on whether his playing style actually incites agressive tackling on the FIFA World Player of the Year. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes that Ronaldo needs protection from Premier League referees.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, the player himself dispelled the notion that defenders in the Premier League are focused on roughing him up. Ronaldo also admitted that injuries and bruises are part and parcel of playing in England.

"On the pitch I'm a target for defenders, so it's difficult to avoid certain things," he said.

"But I don't believe people just want to do something wrong on purpose. In my experience the game is not carried out that way. I've never had serious problems.

"I do remember when a goalkeeper said that the only way to stop United is to target Ronaldo but I went on to score two past him," he said. "I don't agree when people say that to stop United, you only need to stop Cristiano. I don't like it when people say that."

No comments:

Post a Comment