Monday, March 23, 2009

Gerrard reveals obsession


Kop hero Steven Gerrard revealed his biggest obsession yet to be achieved. The Barclays Premier League title.

Despite getting dubbed by Zinedine Zidane as the best player in the world, Gerrard remains a humble man who just wants to play football.

"There are times you look over what's gone on in your career, think about the highs and the lows and recognise so much has been achieved," says Gerrard.

"But you never want to dwell too much because there's still a lot more to do. When I think of where the club was when I made my debut and where we are now, I can see how far we've come.

"I've reached a few milestones recently, such as 100 games in Europe, reaching the anniversary of becoming captain, and the 10 years since my debut. I can't believe how quickly it's gone. A career passes by in a flash.

"Back in 1998 when I made my debut we weren't qualifying for the Champions League and were well off the pace in terms of competing for the title. We didn't have the reputation in Europe we have again now. Sometimes you have to stop and appreciate that, but be careful not to think that's enough.

"There are a lot of people at Liverpool, players and staff, who deserve credit for taking us to a point where we now have someone like Johann Cruyff saying we're feared by the rest of Europe. People have been saying a lot of nice things about us, and that all comes from performances.

"As for being described as the best player in the world? It's really flattering to hear someone say that about you, especially given the quality of players out there at the moment and the calibre of some of those who have said it.

"I try not to read too much into it, but if people say that about you it reflects well on the team. You can only look a good player if you have good players around you.

The England midfielder has always made it clear that he will gladly sacrifice all his previous medals just to lift the league trophy and with just one point separating the top two, his dream might just come true this season.

"It's great to have that level of respect, but the most satisfying thing is always winning trophies. If we win the title, it will rank alongside Istanbul as one of the greatest achievements in our history. None of us will ever give up trying and we still believe we can do it.

"I've said I'd swap every other medal I could win for the rest of my career to win the league, and I mean that.

"I'd rather lose to United home and away and win the league than the other way around, and I'm sure the United players feel the same way about us.

"The win at Old Trafford was unbelievable, but it won't mean much at the end of the season if we haven't won the title."

Liverpool travel to Craven Cottage a fortnight from now to take on Fulham.

No comments:

Post a Comment