Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mortaza excited about playing in IPL


Bangladesh pace spearhead Mashrafe Mortaza said he is ready to take the responsibility and give his best in the IPL.

In the absence of Pakistani speedsters Umar Gul and Shoaib Akhtar, Mortaza said he is all set to play his role for the Kolkata Knight Riders during IPL, beginning in South Africa from April 18.

"I'm really excited to play with Ganguly"

"It feels great that I've got a chance to play for a strong side like the Kolkata Knight Riders. I am confident of myself. I am sure it won't be a problem to take the responsibility and perform. I will be playing in the IPL for the first time," said Mortaza, who has played two Tests and two ODIs in South Africa last year.

The Kolkata Knight Riders USD 600,000 catch this season, said he was looking forward to meet Sourav Ganguly and receive his value tips.

"I will play with a great cricketer like Ganguly. I'm really excited to play with him. Obviously, he will give me some tips when I meet him in a one-on-one," Mortaza told reporters here before leaving for South Africa.

"My confidence definitely will get a boost in playing with big cricketers in the IPL," he added.

But Mortaza lamented that the Knight Riders would not be playing in their home town.

"We will miss playing in Kolkata. There would have been many supporters here to cheer us on. But at the same time, I feel the tournament will be equally successful in South Africa." He said the tournament was very popular in Bangladesh and his inclusion in the Shah Rukh Khan-owned side would add to his popularity at home.

"He (Shah Rukh) is very popular in Bangladesh. Last year people prefered the IPL to international matches. Not only Bangladesh, the world follows the tournament. Obviously, with me playing, the IPL fan following in Bangladesh will increase."

No comments:

Post a Comment